Smoking Cessation Clinic at The Albion Centre
People with HIV are three times more likely to smoke cigarettes than people without HIV.
People with HIV who smoke experience smoking related health problems such as heart attack, angina, stroke and cancer more frequently and at a younger age than the general population.
Albion offers a specialist clinic to assist smokers with HIV and their partners to reduce, limit or stop smoking.
The Albion smoking cessation program is delivered by a multidisciplinary team of specialists in tobacco addiction, HIV medicine, nursing, nutrition and psychology.
If you are thinking of quitting or reducing the amount you smoke and want to attend the Albion smoking cessation clinic:
- a referral is not required
- the service is free of charge
- the program is specifically designed for people with HIV
- the treatments are provided by a Tobacco Treatment Specialist accredited by the Australian Association of Smoking Cessation Professionals (www.aascp.org.au)
Albion uses the latest evidence based methods to assist you to stop smoking, which may include:
- prescription medication
- nicotine replacement therapy
- one on one counselling and psychotherapy
- group educational sessions